Ah, hell. Here goes nothing.
Actors, in alphabetical order
1. Humphrey Bogart (recommended films: The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre)
2. Marlon Brando (rf: A Streetcar Named Desire, On the Waterfront, The Godfather, Apocalypse Now)
3. Charlie Chaplin (rf: City Lights, Modern Times, The Great Dictator, Monsieur Verdoux)
4. Robert De Niro (rf: The Godfather Part II, Taxi Driver, The Deer Hunter, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, Cape Fear)
5. Toshiro Mifune (rf: Stray Dog, Rashomon, Seven Samurai, I Live in Fear, Throne of Blood, Yojimbo, High and Low, Sword of Doom)
6. Jack Nicholson (rf: Five Easy Pieces, Chinatown, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, The Shining, Terms of Endearment, Batman, As Good As It Gets, The Departed)
7. Paul Newman (rf: The Hustler, Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sting, The Verdict, The Color of Money, The Hudsucker Proxy, Road to Perdition)
8. Peter O’Toole (rf: Lawrence of Arabia, Becket, The Lion in Winter, Goodbye Mr. Chips, The Stuntman, The Last Emperor)
9.. Al Pacino (rf: The Godfather Trilogy, Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, Glengarry Glen Ross, Heat)
10. Sidney Poitier (rf: Blackboard Jungle, The Defiant Ones, In the Heat of the Night, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner)
Actresses, in alphabetical order:
1. Ingrid Bergman (rf: Casablanca, Notorious, Spellbound)
2. Bette Davis (rf: Of Human Bondage, The Petrified Forrest, Jezebel, Dark Victory, The Man Who Came to Dinner, All About Eve, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?)
3. Marlene Dietrich (rf: Shanghai Express, Destry Rides Again,A Foreign Affair, Witness for the Prosecution, Touch of Evil, Judgment at Nuremberg)
4. Jodie Foster (rf: Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore, Taxi Driver, The Accused, The Silence of the Lambs, Panic Room)
5. Setsuko Hara (No Regrets for Our Youth, The Idiot, Late Spring, Tokyo Story, Early Summer, Late Autumn)
6. Katherine Hepburn (rf: Little Women, Bringing Up Baby, The Philadelphia Story, The African Queen, The Lion in Winter, On Golden Pond)
7. Meryl Streep (rf: The Deer Hunter, Sophie’s Choice, Out of Africa, The Bridges of Madison County, The Hours, The Devil Wears Prada, Doubt)
8. Gloria Swanson (rf: Sunset Blvd.)
9. Elizabeth Taylor (rf: A Place in the Sun, Giant, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Cleopatra, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, The Taming of the Shrew)
10. Sigourney Weaver (rf: Alien, Aliens, Ghostbusters, Gorillas in the Mist, Death and the Maiden, Copycat, Galaxy Quest)
Yeah, the Joker from The Dark Knight is the obvious answer, but I prefer his role as Ennis in Brokeback Mountain.
It’s gotta be Michael Corleone from The Godfather films. A close second, though, is Sonny from Dog Day Afternoon. And I will slap the shit out of anyone who says Scarface. That movie’s a piece of shit and I blame it for largely making Pacino forget how to underact.
I’m going to go with Lazarus from Black Snake Moan, partly because Jackson gets to act instead of screaming all the damn time and partly because of sentimental reasons. Lazarus is loosely based on R.L. Burnside, one of my favorite North Mississippi blues musicians.